An American view of life in Scotland...

My journey through life, doing things I never dreamed off! I am a wife, and a mother living life in a foreign country. This is my story on how I am dealing (or not) with a strange old world that is new to me. I hope you enjoy reading about my life, and not comment too harshly if you dont!

Monday, April 4, 2011

FOOD: Shopping for groceries, Sounds Easy Right?!

One of my first experiences here that presented a challenge for me was going grocery shopping. Doesn't sound so difficult, but I would get so frustrated trying to find what I needed.  For Example, at first, it took me forever in the canned (tinned) tomato aisle.  My poor husband would get phonecalls, and I would ask him what I knew I wanted, but to him, it was completely different!  I knew I couldnt ask for help from someone in the store, if my husband didnt have a clue, how would they!?  Not only that, after I started home delivery,  everything being weighted with a different measurement messed me up, many a time!  Let me see if I can translate for you readers so you can understand.

USA Terminology                                                      UK Terminology
Tomato Paste                                                              Tomato Puree
Tomato Sauce                                                             Tomato Passata
Eggplant                                                                      Aubergine
Zuchini                                                                        Courgette
Snow Peas                                                                   Mange Tout
Ketchup                                                                       Red Sauce
Cilantro                                                                       Coriander
Okra                                                                            Bhindi


Imagine asking for Squash, and getting sent to the Juice Aisle.  Little language differences! 

There are more food differences, and as I recall them, I will add them to the list!  Who knows, maybe it will help someone else making the move from the US to the UK!  Some things I will add to the list, even though they arent that hard to find in the supermarket, they just might have a nickname that can stump you!

Another thing I noticed is when ordering at a restaurant, I spied a chicken dish topped with chili sauce.  Imagine my horrible surprise when I took a bit to find a minty flavored sweet sauce and NOT a spicy chili sauce.  My poor taste buds didnt forgive me for days!  In fact, I tend to prefer restaurants these days where I know I wont get any surprises, like Indian Cuisine, Chinese, or PIZZA!

Feel free to comment below on differences you may know about that I have not yet added, and I will put it on the list.

2 comments:

  1. I rather thought that zucchini was the American (or Italian) term for what we (and the French) call courgette.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and ketchup is pretty universal, although “red sauce” is in common use, particularly in chip shops. Perhaps because ketchup implies tomato content…

    ReplyDelete