An American view of life in Scotland...

My journey through life, doing things I never dreamed off! I am a wife, and a mother living life in a foreign country. This is my story on how I am dealing (or not) with a strange old world that is new to me. I hope you enjoy reading about my life, and not comment too harshly if you dont!

Monday, April 4, 2011

One of the things I enjoy about living in the UK...

Butchers and Fishmongers.

There is nothing better than being able to go in and get what you want, how you want it.  You can even get halal, or kosher if you wish. 

Just as in a grocery store, the butcher prepares time saving, pre-prepared parcels of meat like Beef Olives.  This was a new dish to me.  It is a thin cut of steak with a stuffing inside of it that you cook in the over usually with onions and gravy.  I prefer the oat stuffing, but generally known for being stuffed with a pork sausage.  It is a pleasant change from a meatloaf when you want a hot meal to warm your toes!

Which leads me to another pleasantry:  Bakeries

There is a local bakery that has an internal cafe that I quite enjoy going for lunch.  I have never been able to eat lunch meat and that knocks out about 95% of cafes and restaurants for me at lunchtime!  This bakery has a lovely steak pie that is heaven on my tastebuds!  I never tire of it!  If my husband is with me he likes going for the 'afters' aka desserts!  Coffee Towers, and Fudge Donuts are his favorites.  In truth, most of the desserts here are too sweet for me, so I tend to pass.  Hard to believe, I know!  Just not my sort of treats!


It is just nice to not have to buy these items in a supermarket but able to buy them direct from a specialist.  I like that it hasnt been taken over by Corporate Suits!  So, if you come to visit and have access to preparing a meal, please buy something from the local shoppes!  Odds are, you wont be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment