An American view of life in Scotland...

My journey through life, doing things I never dreamed off! I am a wife, and a mother living life in a foreign country. This is my story on how I am dealing (or not) with a strange old world that is new to me. I hope you enjoy reading about my life, and not comment too harshly if you dont!

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Ten year anniversary of 11th September 2001

photo from REUTERS/DoD/Tech. Sgt. Cedric H. Rudisill/Handout

This is what I remember.  I could smell it from where I was.  Everyone focuses on the first two planes that hit the twin towers.  Well there were two more planes.  One in DC, and the one that crashed into a field in Pennsylvania.  It was a day that people all over the world will remember for a long, long time.
I worked for an Airline that flew for United Airlines at the time. I was off at home due to a work related injury.  I was just falling asleep that morning after taking medication too help with the pain and enable some much needed sleep.  I received a phone ca11 from my stepmother shouting into the phone hysterically turn on the TV.  I was dazed and said, "I am just falling asleep why do I need to turn on the TV?"  as I grabbed for the remote. I turned on the TV and put it on one of the main channels and as she was telling me about the first plane hitting, I see the footage on the news of the first plane crash into the building.  It was very surreal.  My Dad and Stepmom were gridlocked as they were heading out of town in their RV to go on holiday.  I know took them hours to get  home. It was hard for me to comprehend that there was a terrorist attack.  Little did I know it was just beginning.
At the time I was dating my husband, who lived in Scotland, United Kingdom.  I phoned him up just after hanging up with my parents and told him what had happened.  He was working in Leith, Edinburgh at that time.  He and his staff went to find a TV.  The rest of the day we chatted via Instant Message.  They found a TV just in time to see the 2nd plane crash into the world trade center.  I think shock and disbelief in watching that was felt around the world.
I am still reeling from everything happening in NYC when I hear reports of a fire at the pentagon.  I had a friend staying with me helping me out while I was dealing with injuries and she was working at Pentagon Row that day.  I phoned her and told her to get out.  She then noticed the smoke filling up the workplace. Her house had burned down as a child and she thought the building she was in was on fire.  She made it out of the building safely, and then said there was so much smoke she could barely see.  She made it to her car, but with all the confusion and chaos with what was happening... It took her HOURS to make the fifteen minute journey back to my house.  
I remember having to go out to my car and get my map book to help her navigate through all the road closings to get back.  When I stepped out the front door, the smell... with the breeze coming from that direction, I could smell the distant smell of jet fuel burning.  Working for an airline, and being on the tarmac so close to the planes, you know that smell.  I immediately felt my stomach churn and felt the bile come to the back of my throat.  I told her I think it was a plane that hit and not a bomb that caused the fire.  That theory was confirmed for me shortly after getting back in the house.

While I am on the phone with my friend, I see the first building fall and I am stunned.  There are reports that not all aircraft are accounted for and suspect that there is another plane.  It is announced that all planes are to be grounded and airspace will be shut down.  I hear there is suspicions that the government may send US military to shoot down anything in the restriced air zones.  There are reports of car bombs in Dc that turned out to be fake.  I vaguely remember another story that turned out to be false reporting of a bomb or fire nearby at the Mall in DC.   I am now curled up on the sofa, waiting for my friend to make it back watching the news on TV.  Who they suspect, are people still alive after the collapse of the building, the show people covered in ash walking around on the street.  Then live shot of the 2nd  building collapsing.  It is hard to believe even now. 
Shortly there after were the reports of the last plane crashed into a field in Pennsylvania. I think it was somewhere near 11 am.  Despite the shock and the adrenaline pumping news casts, I was struggling to stay awake. I drifted in and out until my friend arrived and watched the news a bit more, and slept fitfully. 
The only other thing I remember from that time was how I felt when the announced America's borders were closed.  Having a loved one on another continent terrified me, it may have been a little selfish, but I believed home was when he and I were together, and the thought of not being able to see one another for who knows how long was an extra added punch with everything else going on.  AS the events unfolded along with speculations, the odd bit of facts and all the conspiracy theories all I could feel was anger. 
Ten years on and I still feel a lot of anger, but also a lot of sadness.  I just wish there was a better solution We are still occupying on foriegn soil and nothing seems to have changed.  I think because the people who want this war have still not changed their viewpoints and dont have value of anyone but their own group of culture, and even then it is a small percentage that feel this way.  I am not there, I can not see with my own eyes.  I personally have a hard time understanding how someone can have such a skewed view that they can hate that deeply and be justified in their religious teachings to take another life.  I dont understand how any religion could support such hatred and violence. 
I digress though, as that is not what today is about.  Today is about remembering.  I do remember, and I shall not forget. The total number of dead in New York, Washington and Pennsylvania was 2,977 people, not including 19 hijackers.
Another thing I remember... Happy Birthday Samuel P. Warren. RIP 11/Sep/1911- 7/Dec/2000)  Today you would have been 100 years old.  I love you and miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment