An American view of life in Scotland...

My journey through life, doing things I never dreamed off! I am a wife, and a mother living life in a foreign country. This is my story on how I am dealing (or not) with a strange old world that is new to me. I hope you enjoy reading about my life, and not comment too harshly if you dont!

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

the final straw

I have been living in the UK for nearly four years now.  I must say in that time I have been disgusted with the way businesses treat its customers.  Restaurants, Banks, Grocery Stores, Post Offices, NHS, Local City Councils, and yes... even the Mobil Phone Companies. 

As a customer if the business or service provider makes a mistake that inconveniences you in some way-- TOO BAD. You put up, and shut up.  The only company I have see offer a discount for an inconvenience is the Grocery Stores-- usually offering 10% off next order in way of a coupon.  A good start.  The problem with me, and others like me is I have been VALUED as a customer somewhere else, and I know what it feels like to be in a professional respectful good and services partnership.  I am officially spoiled for knowing that good, even GREAT customer service exists.  Where your money means something to the person recieving it other than a paycheck.  There are a few 'good eggs' in the basket... just too bad it is a small minority. 

Why should I as a customer be treated poorly if I make a mistake, and be left to channel through out of country call centres or automated voice mail at a fee to me in cost of the call, or given a weak, scripted apology to try and appease me as a customer.  How about restitution for loss of service, or giving Customer Loyalty or Appreciation. 


I dont care if I am greeted the minute I walk into a shop, but I do want to be acknowledged.  If I am in a restaurant, I dont want to have to wave my hand and hope to get your attention, I want to be checked on and have dishes cleared away as a courtesy whereas space is usually at a premium.  If I phone up with a complaint on my bill, about an overcharge... I think an apology in writing with some sort of appreciation isnt unheard of. After all, you tied up my money and caused me a disservice.  Or, If I order a movie from somewhere, whether it be from a mail order company or from an at home service provider, if the movie is faulty in any way, how about a refund and as a show of good faith in a credit towards my next purchase.  WHAT? It cant be done? 


Well, Big Business Folks that is where you are wrong.  I have seen it, on a mass scale and the companies are not hurting, in fact they are doing well.  WHY?  It is because these businesses know that it is easier to keep a current customer happy rather than all the money and marketing it takes to find new customers. Yes, It is called Customer Retention.  Standing behind the goods or services you are marketing.  If a electronic toy runs out of batteries, do you go buy a new toy?  No- you replace the batteries.  It saves money and the child is happy that the toy is working again.   See, it is simple.  In fact, most kids get attached to a specific toy and are happy with how it works and dont need a new toy.  It is only when a toy is damaged beyond repair or lost that a new toy should suffice.  As a customer, I tend to pay for insurance in these cases.  The insurance company is a representative of  the main business.  So, if you are unhappy with the insurance company and how they handle your claim... who is it that is going to get the blame?!  Yup the business they represent.


Which brings me to Vodafone.  Your lack of respect for me as a customer, is going to cause you to lose me as a customer.  There is some good that is coming from this though.  It is prompting me to take action.  I wont stand for being under valued as a customer, client, patient, etc. I will be bringing about change, the only way I know how... talking about it.  I want to insight businesses to treat the consumer with understanding and respect with simple solutions.

The key word here is Accountability.  Promising things, giving them for a little while... and then hoping you will forget and let the standards go.  The 'Put up and Shut up' style of business doesnt work for me.  Lets strive for Better Business, fair and equal treatment... including good customer service relations.  Look for the group on Facebook to be called Better Business Agency.  A guide to Standards in Excellence for businesses.  A place for the consumer to document their grievance, and I will post a few scenarios of how the situation could have been handled differently.  Keeping a customer starts with the first line of defense.  Lets tell Businesses in the UK, how we want to be treated.

Thank you for listening, and hope to you join my group... it only helps it we as consumers speak out.

No comments:

Post a Comment